A wealthy politician released her tax returns for the public to view, according to custom.
The politician had a neighbor who was in charge of a charity that was struggling for funds. After seeing the politician’s tax returns, he saw a golden opportunity, and immediately went over and knocked on the politician’s door.
“All right, I can see from your tax returns that you make $500,000 a year, but you’re not giving any money to charity!” he told her. “Now, I happen to run a very credible charity, and…oh look! I live right next door. Tell you what: you write me a check for $1,000 right now to help my charity, and then I promise I’ll leave you alone.”
The politician gasped, very offended. “You think I have money just sitting around to give to charity?” she said. “Were you aware that last year, my father lost his house in a fire, and everything he owned along with it?”
“Um, I didn’t,” said her neighbor.
“And did you also know that my daughter got into a horrible car accident last year, having medical bills several times her annual wages?” she went on.
“Er…no, I’m sorry…”
“And that my sister had her husband walk out on her, leaving her penniless with three children?”
Her neighbor, now very embarrassed, said, “Oh, my! I apologize. I had no idea what was going on with your family members!”
And the politician continued: “And so… if I didn’t give any money to them, why would I give any to you?”
Short joke 👇
More jokes 👇
- An American evangelist was touring around Ireland spreading his message…
- 🌓🌎🌞 ← lunar eclipse…
- They made a Guinness with 0
- The taste of their food and the face of their women made the British man the best sailors in the world
- I’m like an avocado: only pleasant for a short period of time, and it’s up to you to figure out when that is
- Do you think Pavlov thought about feeding his dog every time he heard a bell ring?